Thursday, March 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Laurie!

Yesterday my friend Kelly had us over for a surprise party for Laurie!  We had so much fun and Laurie had no idea :)  I wanted to make some cookies for the party (of course!!)
 I have found so many new ideas lately, thanks to Pinterest!  I could just spend hours on there.  There are SO many amazing cookie decorators and I've enjoyed getting some new ideas.
I found this tutorial (and saw her amazing cookies) and knew I had to try this "tuft" technique.  I am in love with it!  You can't see it very well in the picture because it's black (and because I haven't mastered this technique!) but I really like how they turned out.  I'm excited to try them in different colors for baby cookies, wedding cookies, lots of ideas!


I saw these amazing cookies and thought I could do some with the colors I was using.  Mine don't have as much detail but these were so fun to do!


Lastly, what's a party without a cupcake cookie?  Usually I just do sprinkles on the white part but I found these cookies and loved the writing on the cupcake along with the swirls.  Since we were doing black and white, I thought I'd add a little color to them with a flower.  In the top picture, you'll notice the pink flower didn't hold it's shape.  The icing was a lot thinner than I thought and it kinda flattened out.  But then I thought it was still cute so I didn't redo them. 

Oh and just a little note about black icing (or any darker color), most of the time it will get blotchy like the you can see in the cupcake...unless you live somewhere with low humidity (I live in Arkansas where we hardly have a day with low humidity.)  Or you could use a dehumidifier while your cookies are drying but I don't have one so I just live with the spots.  Actually, they will usually just turn the darker color after a day or so.  This picture was taken the day before and the spots were gone by the party!  So just make them a day earlier than you want to serve them and they should be fine.


Happy birthday Laurie!!!!

1 comment: